Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Latest Leg of the Journey

So if you follow my tweets, you already know what I was up to today. Otherwise: I went by the new pick-up point here in Chicago for Slagel Farms meats, Chicago's Downtown Farmstand on Randolph (a great source for locally/regionally sourced products). I picked up my Easter ham. After a 9 hour day in the kitchen that should have been plenty. But since I still needed the goods by which to brine that 25 pound hunk of natural porky goodness, I stopped at Whole Foods. Whew, just getting there wore me out. So I stopped at the bar inside WF and grabbed a tasty Goose Island Bourbon County Stout to warm me back up and relieve some soreness. I picked up the goods I needed to make my version of Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's Cider cure for the ham. I also grabbed some extra cider for another version (number 4) of hard cider that I am excited about since finding a nice local cider. It is fairly easy to make, I only hope that it turns out as well as I imagine it will! (hope to post more on this soon)


(Scotch Olives filled w/ homemade sausage on right at Bristol!)


As I write this I am eating quite low on the hog, er, cow. As a child I loved taco night with my mom. A pound of ground beef, a McCormick's spice packet, some cheese and tortilla shells. Tonight that's what I am enjoying since I have to fend for myself as Rebecca is in New Orleans on business (oh how horrible, I know. <20deg here right now)! I switched it up a bit by adding some Adobo sauce from the chipotles I included in my first batch on 'nduja long ago! Let's just say Sandra Lee would be proud.


Otherwise, beer brewing is about the only thing I have been up to. Luckily it doesn't take much being on the feet to do so. 2 weekends ago we brewed a German Altbier with some Munich hops. and This weekend we brewed some Dunkelweisen. Did I mention that the last hefeweisen yeast I used I turned out being allergic to it? Swollen tongue and loss of tasting capacity noticed after a few beers in the same week!


So I know nothing here was exciting to read. But I am hoping that it has sparked some intrgue and curiosity about what is to come once I have the time/stamina to complete and write about it. I did have some great charcuterie once again at Old Town Social here in Chicago. I took some pictures and notes about the tasty stuff they're offering right now. Most notably: Braunschweiger! Until then, I have a picture or two to whet your appetites!


(Fegato, rabbit liver mousse, at Spiaggia Cafe, AWESOME!)

No comments:

Post a Comment